How to legally change your name in India?

Visit your nearest Notary and make an affidavit regarding the change of your name. And mention therein your specific reason for changing your name.
Changing Name in India
Changing name in India

Following are the steps for changing name in India.

Step 1 – Affidavit

Visit your nearest Notary and make an affidavit regarding the change of your name. And mention therein your specific reason for changing your name. For example, changing of name after marriage, due to astrological or neurological reasons etc. 

Once the affidavit is printed on a plain stamp paper, it needs to be signed by two witnesses. It is to be signed by two persons of gazetted officer rank. 

The procedure for a name change, in the case of a central government employee, needs to be done in lieu with the Ministry of Home Affairs O.M.

Married women, who would like to change their surname or add their husband’s name as initials, are required to provide the following details:

  1. Old name with the father’s name and address;
  2. New name with husband’s name and address;
  3. Marriage date.

Overseas Indians, can change their name by submitting a deed stating the change of name, duly signed by the Indian High Commission office or the Indian Embassy.

This affidavit can be used for changing your first or last name and also using the same you can completely change your name. 

Step 2 – Newspaper Publication

I, Mr ___________________ (old name) have changed my name from __________________ (old name) to ______________ (new name) by affidavit sworn before the Notary Public, ______________ (place) on ___________ (date). Henceforth, I shall be known as _________________ (New Name) for all purposes. ______________ (Name) and _______________ (Complete postal address).


You can choose any of the two local newspapers for publishing it. For future use it’s better to preserve both the hard and scanned copies of the newspaper.

Step 3 – Gazette Notification

Now for getting your name published in the Official Gazette of your state.

1. You need to visit your local Government Press or the department that mobilizes Gazette notification.

2. Get 2 copies of “Deed Changing Surname Form”. 


You need to send the following documents to the Secretary, Department of Commerce & Transport (Commerce), _________________ (State). 

  1. Letter to the Secretary, requesting him to allow you to change your name.
  2.  The “Deed Changing Surname Form”
  3. 2 True copies of the newspapers in which your name change statement is published.
  4. Attested copy of the Name Change Affidavit.
  5. A print out of the statement in plain paper that you need to publish in your official Gazette.
  6. A Copy of your current identity like your Voter Identity Card, PAN Card, Birth Certificate, School or College Certificates etc.

The Government will print the change of your name in the Gazette. The amount charged for this Gazette notifications varies from Rs. 700 to Rs. 900 depending on whether you want a public notice or not.


  1. Name Change Affidavit
  2. Newspaper Publication
  3. Name Change Deed
  4. Request letter to the Secretariat
  5. Name Change Statement
  6. Reply Letter from the Secretariat
  7. Publication Money Receipt.
  8. Gazette Notification

In several cases a person has the affidavit and the Newspaper advertisements for a name change, and does not have notified the Gazette regarding the modification. But the government employees have the mandatory clause for Gazette notifications, the banks might ask for Gazette notification before changing your name in the account. 


Leave a Reply